Thursday 7 July 2011

Why I Liked... Monte Carlo (2011)

(Dir. Thomas Bezucha Starring: Selena Gomez, Leighton Meester, Katie Cassidy)

It was Canada Day, and all is forgiven.

Yes, even Canada Day can make me forgive little Selena (what can I say-hello, Baby Face...) for this giant mishap of a film. Allow me to elaborate....

The trailer? Yeah, we all know that trailers make sure to show all the best bits to draw an audience in, but there is such a thing as withholding those scenes where, you know, are good as well. But literally, the trailer was actually better than the entire film. I kid you not.

Although, who’s really surprised at this point?


In the spirit of Canada Day forgiveness however, many things have to be let go. Like how identity theft is actually pretty Serious Business and not to be laughed off by all save the victim herself. Or how easy it is to travel (by air) without a passport in Europe. (And I’ve travelled through Europe myself, and by train, it’s pretty easy not to have to keep your passport on immediate hand, but by air? Nuh-uh.) Or how easy it is to keep up a British accent when you’re an American. From Texas. With no original Texan accent to begin with.

Or how three different body types can fit into one girl's wardrobe perfectly.

 I’m forgiving a lot here-is no one proud of how forgiving I’m being?

In short, the acting was pretty terrible. Save Leighton Meester possibly-but even the romantic interests were pretty...crap. Like, so bad that I couldn’t even distract myself with how pretty (some) of them were. Which is just sad. Why else would I suffer through Orlando Bloom movies? Come now, people!

So let me save you the trouble-even if you’re a big Selena Gomez fan (I wasn’t, I swear-I just thought it looked cute and fluffy), you probably won’t like this film. If you’re a fan of camp, over the top movies-you probably won’t like this film. If you’re a fan of ridiculous, situational, identity-swapping movies-you probably won’t like this film.

If you like horses...

Have I made myself clear?

No comments:

Post a Comment