Thursday 9 June 2011

Why I Liked... Rango (2011)

(Dir. Gore Verbinski Starring: Johnny Depp, Isla Fisher, Ned Beatty, Abigail Breslin)

Animation made for the 2D screen and nothing else? Fantastic! Plus a fabulous script and great voice acting and superb detailing that makes you go ‘wait-that’s a fake feather, yes, ok, animated, computer, got it.’

This is...one of my favourite animations of the year. Yeah, now that I think about it, yes. It is.

Some people might be sick of Johnny Depp being all quirky and whack-a-doodle crazy in his films, but Rango is different, I swear. And yet I seem to be having a bit of a difficult time writing about it. Um. Oh dear.

Can we just give a MAJOR KUDOS to the animators of this film? Honestly, there were times when these desert rodents just looked...so real. And I don’t mean in terms of their clothes, but those feathers, those scales, that fur tufting up from those ears...it was just a visual feast. That oh hey, would have been completely obsolete and pointless had this been a film made for 3D viewing.

So yay. Argument about 3D going the way of the dinosaur is made. You can have successful, well-made and executed films without the nasty 3D gimmick, and frankly, when you see the amount of detail in Rango, you’ll be pleased that the 3D component wasn’t there to de-saturate it. I wonder how many more times I can use ‘3D’ in this paragraph. Hmm.


No 3D! Yay!

Ok, enough about that-let’s get to the story and maybe possibly the voice-acting. Chinatown was...definitely a reference point in this film. Because in the small town of Dirt, water is currency, and if you can manipulate the currency, you’ve got all the power, and thank you Ned Beatty for making a Mayor Turtle in a wheel chair seem menacing.

All in all however, the story was fairly generic for the genre, but in this case, with this cast and with this animation, and with this script, it worked out a lot better than what you would normally think. In fact, I would say that if you were to take the kiddies to see Rango, you might even enjoy it more than them-the clever dialogue, complimentary and constant references to the Clint Eastwood Western, you’re sure to have a good time.

This is turning out a lot shorter than I thought it would, but whatever-just one last point from me. The use of the Greek chorus slash Mariachi Band throughout the film added a flair that I wouldn’t have thought necessary, but it sang to me, really. And literally. It progressed the story with such tongue in cheek that it really rounded Rango out to being a much better film because of it.


Adorbs. (I'm really tired, shut up)

No comments:

Post a Comment