Tuesday 1 March 2011

Why I Liked... The King And I (1956)

(Dir. Walter Lang Starring: Deborah Kerr, Yul Brynner)

The sets and dancing numbers were exquisite.

That said, I couldn’t help but feel entirely offended the entire time watching this. Not one of the leads were actually from Asian descent-most of them were from Mexico, and the titular King (Brynner) was from Russia. I know it’s all about context, but even when I transport myself back to 1956 to watch this film, I can’t help but bring a little bit of 2011 back with me.

And you know, feel offended by the blatant Orientalism.

But you know what? Let’s just side bar that for a bit-otherwise this entire review will get completely off-track.

"I've come to teach you about how the rest of the world is going to see you as terrible drivers in the future."


So aside from being offended most of the time, this film, this story totally sucked me in. No, I did not envision myself becoming an English tutor to young royalty, and no, I did not really give a care about Tuptim, one of the King’s many wives who has a Romeo of her own (who actually gave her to the King, so...kinda messed up), but rather, the budding friendship between Anna (Kerr) and the King himself.

And the romantic in me says ‘friendship’ reluctantly because frankly, how awesome would it have been if those two had hooked up in the end? First, it probably would have been a little groundbreaking for its time, and second, they had amazing chemistry. Like, I’m pretty sure my laptop would have caught fire if they had had any more scenes together.

Phew!

Swagger.
 

I’m such a sucker.

Ok, so let’s not forget this is a musical and not a Romance Story in Gillian’s Head.

So, the dance numbers. Amazing. Choreographed by the amazing Jerome Robbins (you may know his other work from West Side Story, Fiddler on the Roof, Gypsy...), they are a dazzling blend of East and West dance styles. Hard, graceful angles and calculated moves perfectly encapsulates the South Asian dance style that just makes the film so very pretty.

And let’s face it-musicals, racist or not, are supposed to be pretty.

 Nice to look at or not however, there’s a reason this film is banned in Thailand. And in my research of the film (yes, I do look this shit up), it wasn’t the original stage musical by Rodgers and Hammerstein that got it so...so very wrong, it was the original source material!

So yeah, there actually was an Anna. Who was actually invited by the King to teach his kids and wives English and introduce them to British customs. I have no idea why exactly she was picked, but out of it came two memoirs written in diary format. Thing is, Anna Leonowens wasn’t actually a widow to a British Army Major, but a clerk. And so she proceeded to embellish the shit out of her time there, and long story short, we have The King And I in all it’s glory.


Lying through her teeth.

So really, this film didn’t stand a chance at being a favourite in the Thai Court’s Royal DVD Collection.

But here’s what redeems this film-Anna’s disobedience, and her own prejudices towards the King and his country’s customs. Which she eventually overcomes herself, just like the King overcomes his (though not as much-she is just a simple woman, after all) in the end.

So while cringe-worthy, The King And I can’t be called timeless, but I would definitely approve of it being called a musical spectacle.

2 comments:

  1. The songs were amazing. Let's give a hand to R & H for their overall brilliance with music and lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the picture captions!

    ReplyDelete